Image Map

Monday, February 15, 2016

Land Down Under

Melbourne, Australia
I'm starting to realize that the places I'm least excited to visit end up being the best places. Like Singapore, Australia was never my top choice of places I wanted to go to. I don't even know why. I've only been to Melbourne so I can't speak for all of Australia (which I've heard is awesome), but Melbourne is really, really awesome. I've been three times in two weeks, and I'm already looking forward to the fourth time.

Australians are some of the nicest people, up there with Americans. That's one reason I loved it so much there. Being in Dubai, I don't know what friendly strangers are anymore because they're a rare find here. Also, they are the best looking bunch of people ever. Chris and Liam Hemsworth are from Melbourne, and I saw guys BETTER looking than them. Reason number two why I love it so much. Start booking your flights, ladies!

I mostly wandered around downtown and did a little shopping. There are lots of cute little stores and all kinds of restaurants, food trucks, and coffee shops. I've heard from a few people that Melbourne has the best coffee in the whole world, and it was very good. I took hundreds of pictures of Hosier Lane, an alleyway covered in awesome graffiti street art that is a popular touristy stop in downtown. Mix Chicago with Portland and you get Melbourne.

I also went to the Queen Victoria Market, the largest open air market in the Southern Hemisphere (thanks Wikipedia). It's a farmer's market, flea market, food festival, street performer stage, and outdoor mini-mall all in one. I tried some organic/vegan/gluten free nachos, Danish pancakes, and frozen berry lemonade. And probably some cookies too... I pretty much ate anything I saw. And I bought some organic soaps and a crocodile charm for my bracelet, because it's Australia and there weren't any kangaroo charms. It's hard to choose a #1 favorite place so far, but Melbourne is one of the top!




Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland is kind of like Melbourne, but the accent is different and everything is 10x more expensive. The people are nice, the food is good, and there is a lot to do. I almost went on a Lord of the Rings tour to see the places where they filmed, like Hobbiton, but it was a few hours outside of the city and expensive. Next time when I have more money I'll go so I can get out of the city and see the countryside. 

I didn't do anything special here either, just walking around, taking pictures, buying little things here and there. I hiked to the top of a volcano, which isn't as cool as it sounds because it's not active and it's just an overlook over the city. A pretty overlook, but not as adventurous as climbing a volcano seems. 

I think I missed out on a lot here by staying in the city, so I hope I can come back again soon and see the nature side of New Zealand. Overall, my trips down under have been some of the best!





3 comments:

  1. Both of these places seem to be very interesting to visit with all there is to see and learn about. Friendly natives is a huge benefit as well! Hopefully you will be going to other cities in these two countries and will have the opportunity to get more incredible images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! ... I must admit...I'm a little jealous of all the ground time...not so much when it comes to all the long flights! I've got a few questions. How long is your longest flight? How long do you typically have on lay overs? Do they really have sleeping space on the plane for attendants? Seen any EF travelers on board? Was it hot in Australia? Are the OLD Australian shop keepers cute too? ; ) Only a month till this year's Euro trip! Probably only 2 more after this one...then I'll retire and have to buy my own tickets...or...find a flight attendant buddy to score me some comps! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Leavitt! I'll definitely hook you up with some tickets :)
      Answers to your questions... The longest flight is 16 hours to LA, but they're adding Panama and a direct Auckland that will be around 18 hours. We have a crew rest compartment with bunk beds for these long flights, or any flights longer than 9 hours (maybe 9.5). On the 777, the bunks are above the ceiling at the back of the plane. On the A380, they are at the back of the plane on the main level. Both planes have security codes to get into them so no crazies can get to us.
      I haven't seen any EF travelers, I think EF would book a cheaper airline. Australia wasn't hot surprisingly. It was maybe 80 at the most when I was there, and got chilly another day I was there.
      Where is this year's Euro trip? Maybe I'll run into you wherever you are!

      Delete