Image Map

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Oslo, Norway

I'm the worst at keeping up with this blog. Anyone who reads my posts knows this by now. So here I am, trying to catch up on the last two months of places I've been. Starting with...


Oslo, Norway
Like most places I fly, I only had twenty-four hours to see the place. I actually went out with other crew this time and we were going to take a boat tour of the fjords, but when we got to the harbor, the tickets were sold out. After another twenty minutes of deciding what to do, we took the local ferry to an island called Hovedøya. 

I found my future getaway cottage there, a perfect white house with a yard full of puffy flowers, and only a five minute walk to the beach on one side and the dock on the other. If I ever go missing, I ran away and I'm there. This is the only picture (below) I took of it for some reason, so use your imagination for the rest. 
The island also has the ruins of a monastery from around 1100. There isn't much left of it to see, but the little tower is still standing and the brick walls are covered in pretty little flowers and grasses growing over them.

Inside of the tower
We walked down to the beach and sat there for a while. The weather was warm-ish in the sun and chilly in the shade, but the locals apparently thought it was perfect weather to be swimming. I felt the water and decided they were crazy. I would freeze to death if I went there in the wintertime. 

We left the perfect little island and went back to the city for some dinner. I don't know what authentic Norwegian food is... But we ate at a Scottish bar and I ordered French fries so I'll have to wait until next time to try some Norwegian food. I expected it to be dark when we left the bar because it was around 8pm, but the sun wasn't even going down yet. It didn't set until around midnight, and came back up again before 4am. That was the weirdest part about being there, but it was really cool to be up at midnight and the sun is barely set. 
I didn't get to see the city on this trip since we went straight to the island, so I want to come back here again. The people were really friendly and so, so tall! I feel like a giant in Dubai and come to Norway and I'm tiny. Overall, it was one of the most beautiful places I've been. I say that about almost everywhere I go, but it just keeps getting better!
Sunset at Midnight








1 comment:

  1. I'd love to go to this place! seeing Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland is on my bucket list! Thanks for sharing so many details, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete